* that you can browse this website without providing personal information
* what personal information we collect
* your rights in relation to the personal information we hold
* who can access your personal information
* how long we will keep your personal information, and
You can browse this website without providing personal information
You can access and browse this site without disclosing your personal information, for example:
* We do not automatically record personal information.
* We do not link information that is recorded automatically with personal information about specific individuals.
We automatically record some non-personal information
We do not attempt to identify users or their browsing activities unless they choose to give us personal information. If you visit this website to read or download information, we automatically record some non-personal information in a log file, for example:
* the type of browser you use
* the type of operating system you use
* the screen resolution of your PC
* the date and time you access our site
* the pages you have accessed and the documents downloaded
* the internet address from which you accessed our site
* the search terms you used to find content on our website, and
* the last site you visited before you accessed any Inland Revenue website.
Inland Revenue's websites currently use Google Analytics to help analyse how customers use our sites. This analytical tool uses 'cookies', which are text files placed on your computer, to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information in an anonymous form. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your computer's internet address or IP address) is transmitted to and stored by Google outside of New Zealand. The tracking data is stored in a database managed by Google. The tracking data is then used by Google to compile statistical reports on website activity for Inland Revenue to evaluate site use. This allows us to
* discover what information is most and least used
* determine technical design specifications, and
* help make our sites more useful to visitors.
We will not use the web analytics tool to track or to collect any personally identifiable information of visitors to our sites, such as user IDs and passwords. We will not associate any data gathered from our sites with any personally identifying information from any source as part of our use of the Google Analytics tool. Inland Revenue will not link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings on your browser. Disabling cookies will not affect your ability to use Inland Revenue's websites. However if you disable cookies you will not be able to log into the consultation forum on this website and therefore unable to comment on the proposals.
* click on "Tools" menu bar at the top of the screen, then click on "Internet Options..." in the drop-down menu
* click on the "Privacy" tab
* click on the "Advanced" button in the "Settings" area to open the "Advanced Privacy Settings" window
* select the "Override automatic cookie handling" check box
Now you have three choices for each type of cookies:
* Accept - accept any cookies.
* Block - block all cookies.
* Prompt - asks you before storing a cookie.
First-party cookies are cookies set by the website you are visiting and third-party cookies refers to cookies that are set by a different site to the one you are visiting. Session cookies are cookies that will expire when you have finished your session on the website.
Your choice for the three options will depend on your requirements, select whichever settings you want and then click the OK button.
* click on "Tools" menu bar at the top of the screen, then click on "Options..." in the drop-down menu
* click on the "Privacy" icon
* click on the "Cookies" tab
* disable cookies by leaving the "Allow sites to set Cookies" check box empty or enable cookies by ticking this check box.
If you are using other browsers than Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox version 1.5, then you should use the "Help" function within those browsers for information on how to disable/enable cookies.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect personal information when you register to participate in this forum. Please note that we may collect additional information (including personal information) if we believe a user is attempting to compromise one of our websites.
Subscribing to a service or newsletter
If you subscribe to a service or newsletter through this website, we record your email address in a database. We use your email address to send you the service or newsletter. We will not disclose your email address to any third parties without your consent.
Corresponding with us
When you correspond with us, you provide us with personal information. This information may be used:
* to update our database or our records
* to share information with other government agencies - who are entitled to the information under legislation
* for the purpose you supplied it to us.
What are your rights in relation to your personal information?
You can access the personal information we hold about you as part of your Inland Revenue records. Please call us on 0800 377 774 to request a copy of your personal information. We may require proof of your identity before we provide you with a copy of this information.
If you consider that some of the information we hold about you is incorrect, you can request us to change it. We will assess your request and will either change the relevant information, or explain why we think the information should not be changed. We will make a note of your change request on your records.
Who can access your personal information?
We do not disclose your personal information to other visitors to our website. We may be required by legislation to share information with other government agencies. We will not disclose your personal information to any non-Inland Revenue person or organisation, unless required by law.
How long will we keep your personal information?
We will keep your personal information for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose for which we collected it. If your personal information becomes part of your Inland Revenue records, we will retain the information in accordance with our record retention policy.
The Privacy Officer
PO Box 2198
If you are not satisfied with our response to your concern, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
PO Box 10094
Phone 0800 803 909
Fax 04 474 7590